To mitigate and manage the impact of COVID-19 and to continue its operation under the lockdown, all our Plants, including Smelter, CPP, Mines, Refinery, Port Facilities and offices within India developed and implemented best practices as per Govt. guidelines.
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for offices, workplaces, factory premises and establishments were adopted to implement social distancing norms and maintain healthy and stringent sanitised environment.
NALCO adhered and adopted new operational process in response to the Guidelines. The Company also extensively disseminated audio-visual communication materials to build awareness among all its stakeholders throughout the lockdown period and beyond.
Some of the steps taken by NALCO include:
- Showing commitment and solidarity with the home state Odisha, in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic, NALCO has funded an exclusive 200 bedded COVID-19 hospital at Nabarangpur, Odisha. The 200 bedded hospital is equipped with quality medical facilities exclusively for treatment of COVID 19 patients. The hospital is situated in Nabarangpur which was part of earlier undivided Koraput district. Our plants are located in the Koraput District.
- NALCO contributed Rs 5.0 crore to the PM CARES Fund.
- Employees donated one day salary of Rs 2.6 crore to the PM CARES Fund.
- Employees donated one day salary of Rs.2.6 crore to the Odisha Chief Ministers Relief Fund.
- NALCO sets up exclusive COVID Care Centres in Damanjodi and Angul.
- As per DOPT guidelines, Integrated Govt. Training Online (iGOT) program was held for employees, medical and paramedical staff.
- Dedicated Isolation beds allocated at our Hospitals in Angul and Damanjodi.
- Sanitisation of quarantine centres in the periphery of our plants.
- Modified shift operations carried out in the production units of NALCO as a measure to minimise engagement of workmen as per the guidelines issued by Govt. authorities at the same time catering to the social distancing requirement for safe operations of the plants.
- Periphery villages of our Plants were sanitized to prevent spread of infection.
- NALCO handed over 50000 nos. of cotton face masks to District Administration, Angul for distribution.
- Face masks and soaps were distributed at 12 migrant labourer colonies.
- Relief Materials were dispatched to District Collector, Damanjodi for the people in Quarantine centres.
- Distribution of dry ration to daily wage workers and food packets to police personnel in Bhubaneswar.
- Imbibing healthy work culture during COVID-19 pandemic, emerging ideas encouraged to culminate into action by preparing in-house tunnel with sanitisation facility in different production units of NALCO apart from nose masks, sanitiser distribution, sanitisation in plants, offices, market complexes, townships, hospitals, periphery villages, roads, thermal scanning at plant main gates, offices etc.
NALCO has adopted an effective and purposeful approach to sustain its production activities uninterrupted during the pandemic.